Greetings Band Parents and Students,
I hope you are enjoying your summer and are looking forward to the start of the 2016 CHSMRB Season! The CHSMRB Staff and CHSBPA Board and Executive Committee have been working hard to prepare for an incredible and exciting season! We all look forward to welcoming you at the start of Pre-Season on Monday, August 15!
Woodwinds & Brass Players: You are invited to our final optional rehearsal next Tuesday, July 26, 5:30 - 8:00 p.m. in the Band Room. We hope to see you there!
If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact me anytime, email@example.com or 203-250-2534.
The following is a letter from our CHSBPA President, Laura Vuolo Hendry. Please take a moment to read it all the way through as it contains important information regarding the start of our season.
John L. Kuhner, K-12 Music Department Chairman
Cheshire Public Schools
Cheshire High School
525 South Main Street
Cheshire, CT 06410
Welcome to the Marching Ram Band family!
On behalf of the Director
of Music Programs, Mr. John Kuhner, and the Cheshire High School Band Parents’
Association, I want to welcome you to the 2016-2017 year. The Ram Band
had an amazing year last year and we are looking forward to a spectacular year
ahead of us! Band Pre-Season (or band camp) is less than a month away
(starting Monday August 15th at 12pm), and we wanted to provide you with important
dates and information as we near the start of the season.
IMPORTANT! All students participating in marching band must have a physical prior to the start of pre-season (by Monday, August 15). CHS provides free physicals to 9th, 11th, & 12th graders on Wednesday August 10th, starting at 9am in the Nurse’s Office at the high school. The back-up date is Thursday August 18th. 10th grade students are required by Connecticut State Law to have a complete physical exam by an MD prior to the start of school and band pre-season. The required CT Health Assessment Record can be found by clicking on the above hyperlink, or by going to the Cheshire High School website under About Us, Nurses Office, Documents - “CT Health Assessment Record”. The CT Health Assessment Record should be submitted to Nurse Ruddy. She will then provide you with a receipt to be submitted to the BPA Forms Box or the Music Office in order to clear your student for camp.
Additionally, any student needing to take any medication at school must have a yearly Medication Authorization Form submitted to Nurse Ruddy for either prescription or non- prescription drugs (such as Advil or Tylenol). This form can be found by clicking on the hyperlink above, or by going to the Cheshire High School website under About Us, Nurses Office, Documents - “Medical Authorization Form”.
Band Camp will run from Monday August 15 - Thursday August 18 from 12:00pm to 8:30pm, Friday August 19 from 8:30am to 3:00pm. The following week, camp will run Monday August 22 through Thursday August 25 from 12:00 to 8:30pm. The band will perform at convocation on Friday the August 26, then rehearse, to be followed by a Student Picnic at Bartlem Park. The day will run from 8:00am – 3:00pm. Stay tuned for more details on the convocation performance and student picnic! Regular season will start Tuesday August 30 from 5:30pm to 8:30pm.
During band camp, here are a few tips from the Band Director and Instructors:
1. Please be sure your band member has a good lunch before coming to camp, brings a cooler or water jug with plenty of fluids and ice/cold packs, a snack and dinner meal for breaks.
2. We do have a mobile water station “shark” but it is very important for the band member to have his or her own water bottle or jug. Typically, the first half of the day is spent indoors, then the band will break to eat, and will resume outside for the rest of the session. August is usually hot and humid and we need to ensure that our band is well hydrated.
3. The sessions are eight hours and your band member will need to have food during band camp. They can either bring food with them in a cooler (or cooled lunch bag) labeled with their name OR you may drop food off before 5:00pm. Please do not disturb the students or band while doing so, they will be dismissed by the instructors in order to eat their meal.
4. Camp end times are approximate, as the students will need to clean up the field and put all equipment away before they are dismissed. When the instructors have ended the rehearsal, you are able to help move the equipment back to from the field. We welcome your support, as it is a long day for students and instructors.
5. Please be on time to pick up your student. If you arrive by 8:45pm it will be appreciated.
Other important items for camp:
· 2 x 4 inch spiral note pad (called a "Set Pad" or "Dot Book") to record sets for marching.
· 45" long shoelace in any color from which the Set Pad will be hung to make recording easier while carrying an instrument at the same time.
· #2 pencil to record sets in the Set Pad, which hangs from the shoelace!
· SUNSCREEN and INSECT REPELLANT and sunglasses if needed.
· Good sneakers; they will be on their feet all day!
We will continue to work together with the section leaders and Mr. Kuhner to keep you updated on any changes or information that you need before band camp starts.
All new band members should expect to receive a phone call from their Section Leader or the Drum Major. They will both welcome new members to the band as well as provide information to help prepare for Band Camp. The names & email addresses for the Section Leaders and the Band E-Board are posted on the website if your band member has not yet had the chance to meet them and would like to contact them.
BAND PARENTS’ IMPORTANT INFORMATION:
Please check your mailboxes for an information packet that will come to your home to include:
· The forms you will need for the season
· An invitation to the President’s Information Session and Mocktail Party that will occur during band camp
· Dates you can attend band camp and meet with one of the Band Parents to answer questions and collect your forms
· Information about the feeding your band member during the season for football games and competitions
· Information for the 1st Annual BPA Car show to be held on August 27
· A letter and form in support of our Sponsorship Campaign (details and forms will also be posted on our website
· A date and information for Band Picture Day
President: Laura Vuolo Hendry
Vice President Administration: Jeff Shankman
Vice President Operations: Bob Gieseler
Vice President Fundraising: Mark Nowicki
Treasurer: Audra Fleury
Stay tuned for more information over the next few weeks. I look forward to seeing you at the start of band camp and at the President’s Mocktail Party. Once again, welcome to the program, the BPA, and here is to a great season!
Go Ram Band!
Laura Vuolo Hendry